What A Superfood Is And Why It’s So Good For Our Pets
Superfoods are dog and cat foods (but also human foods) that have a higher than average nutrient content than ordinary foods, in particular they are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, enzymes, mineral salts, antioxidants or phytonutrients.
This family includes mainly fruit, berries, spices and seeds that contain active ingredients that are extremely valuable for health and are therefore considered ultra-healthy.
Their consumption would seem to ward off disease and slow down cellular aging processes.
In HOM’s recipes these elements always appear in the form of Chia Seeds, Alga Spirulina and Quinoa.
Chia seeds are an essential food for our four-legged friends (and also for our diet) because they are naturally complete, rich in fiber, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. A nutraceutical par excellence with a consistency that makes HOM recipes soft, tasty and healthy.
The benefits of chia seeds:
- Rich in antioxidants: ideal for elderly Pets. Fight free radicals.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6: ideal for Pets suffering from inflammation. Supports the immune system.
- Promotes digestion: chia seeds are highly digestible and therefore suitable for dogs and cats with slight sensitivity.
- Source of Vitamins: in addition to being rich in Vitamin C, also contains vitamins of group A, B6, B12.
- They improve the activity of the central nervous system: also here it is very important for the elderly Pets.
Goji berries are called the Tibetan fruit of longevity. They have extraordinary properties and are (which is no small thing) also delicious for the palate of dogs and cats. They contain many vitamins and 18 essential amino acids!
The benefits of Goji berries:
- Rich in natural antioxidants: they fight free radicals released by fatigue and stress activities.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties: suitable for dogs and cats aged or over 7 years. They support the immune and central nervous systems.
- Gives a satiating effect: the goji berries satiate the dog and cat in a natural and completely healthy way.
- Regulates blood sugar: indicated for dogs and cats with diabetes problems or pancreatic dysfunction.
- Support the immune system.
The high content of minerals such as phosphorus, copper, magnesium and manganese, proteins (20%) and gasses (40%) make flaxseed an excellent superfood for health and wellbeing, among the components of these seeds it is necessary to mention the polyunsaturated fatty acids, founders of Omega 3 and Omega 6, but above all the presence of mucilage, excellent for restoring and preserving the intestinal bacterial flora of dogs and cats.
The benefits of Linseed
- Rich in fiber: they are a very important food for dogs and cats who suffer from constipation or diarrhea and have difficulty evacuating.
- Protector of the gastric mucosa: thanks to the mucilage it contains, flaxseed protects the stomach of dogs and cats and preserves their proper functioning.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- High contributions of Omega 3 and Omega 6.
Unlike cereals, quinoa contains no gluten, and has very special nutritional properties and is suitable for the needs of dogs and cats. The high biological value of its nutrients makes quinoa a very valuable food.
The benefits of quinoa are many:
- It has a low glycemic index: the liver and pancreas of dogs and cats must take less effort to digest it than a cereal.
- Improves intestinal functions: it is rich in fiber and easily digestible. Indicated in cases where dogs and cats suffer from constipation or dysentery.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and folates.
- Other satiating power.